Experience Perth Hills
Winter at its best at Fawkes House
Chilly nights invite you to rug and snuggle up in cosy and comfortable cottages or in the daytime take some time to observe this special season………..
Bird Watching Perth Hills
Observing native bird life is made easy and special in our garden at Fawkes House. Check out the range and beauty of some up close photos of recent bird life in our garden. Thank you Dave for your amazing pics!
- Experience up close a flock of rare black and white cockatoos feasting on tree cones. They are our resident bad boys intent on eating their fill on the fir cones. If you approach quietly you can get quite close to observe them. Be warned don’t stand beneath the trees as branches and debris come tumbling down! There is an active colony of these treasured protected birds nesting within our garden and monitored for research by Murdoch University.
- Groups of small birds can be observed at the bird baths and fountain around about 4pm. A great way to watch them is to sit on the veranda of the main house where you will find binoculars and a bird book for easy identification.
Rare Trees and Plants
- With the abundance and variety of trees check out their individual silhouettes, cones and bark. We have paperbark trees through to crab apples, silver pears and even an amazing large oak planted by past owners forty years ago.
- A walk through the spinney by the side of the house will bring you to a display of camellias and an array of shade loving plants including pretty cyclamen. The flowers arise first and then the leaves!
Wildlife Bickley Valley
- If you see mounds of earth throughout the lawns you may be lucky enough to see our resident bandicoots/quendas; they are digging for roots to eat. They are nocturnal but do venture out during daylight.
Walk Trails Perth Hills
- Winter brings crisp sunny days. It rains mostly at night! A great time to dig out the hiking boots and walking gear and explore the Australian native bush in the Perth Hills.
- With over 40 gazetted walk trails, copies available in each cottage, there are easy to challenging walking experiences close by Fawkes House. Walk by flowing water, hear the wobble gong and motorbike frogs echo around the valley and admire the native wattle in bloom through winter. Just a few of the many natural experiences to soak up and enjoy.
- Our sauna and spa baths will take away any aching muscles and a selection of massages will ensure a deep and soothing sleep.